Wednesday, May 18, 2011

GRILLED GILTHEAD FISH

this blog is intended to show you how to cook in a cheap and easy manner.
I said easy because, I am really not the person who can change the electric plug on the wall, though, I cook food with no difficulties at all.
Today I am starting this blog. If only one of you can fulfill his/her interest in cooking with petothecook.blogspot.com, I will consider this blog as a success.
I apologize in advance for all the errors which I will (surely)commit while writing in this blog and also for bad cooking feelings (such as "my mother cooks this in a very different way" or "my grandma cooks this very much better"...)
Ah, and I do not want to start with my recipes without thanking my wife (Maridó) to encourage me to create this blog and my mum who has taught me all I know about cooking (without her, my cooking feeling would have been like the lion one).

To start with, today we are cooking (grilled gilthead fish). Easy and cheap.

The ingredients we need are the following:
(in my blog lacocinadepeto.blogspot.com I include average ingredient prices for Spain. I am not typing prices here as I understand they could be much different wherever you may live in).



- 2 Gilthead fishes (aprox.300-400 grs.) Ask at the fish shop to remove guts and scales.
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1 big onion or 2 small onions (150-200 grs)
- 1 lemon
- Olive oil (3-4 tablespoons) (I know olive oil in some countries is extremely expensive compared to Mediterranean countries. Thus, you can use butter or other type of vegetable oil provided that it has no strong flavour)
- The cheapest white wine you can find (a quarter pint). If too expensive or too difficult to get it, use same quantity of beer.
- Salt 

Ok, then, let's get busy!!!!!

Pre-heat your oven 220ºC - 428ºF (10-15 minutes depending on the oven). 
Pour an olive oil tablespoon into your pyrex tray (if you don't have pyrex it's okay, I use it as it is easier to clean).
Slice the onion and put it uniformly throughout the pyrex tray. Add salt and pour over another olive oil tablespoon.




Place the pyrex with the onion into the oven for 15 minutes (or until the onion gets slightly brown).
In the meanwhile, cut the lemon in two. Slice one half and make a lemon juice with the other.




Mash the garlic cloves, a pinch of salt, 2 olive oil tablespoons and the half-lemon juice.




Make three incisions on the fish (as shown below) and insert three slices of lemon.



Spread the mashed garlics, lemon and salt inside and outside the fish.




Use the rest of lemon to decorate the fish and put it in the pyrex covering the grilled onions. Place it into the oven for 20 to 30 minutes (depending on the size of the fishes). At the middle of such time (aprox. 10 minutes) add the wine mixed with a quarter pint of water.
And that's it!!!
Serve as you wish, decorated in a dish or directly in the pyrex (please do not burn yourself) and enjoy with whoever you like.




No comments:

Post a Comment